- The Scotsman
- Rooms & Suites
- Offers & Prices
- Taste of Edinburgh
- Christmas Deals
- Entertainment Guide
- Offers & Packages
- Taste of Edinburgh Indulgent Experiences
- Competition Terms and Conditions
- Taste of Edinburgh Top 5 Sweet Treats
Scottish Whisky Tasting from 14th October at North Bridge Brasserie
September 30th, 2013
This whisky tasting experience will leave beginners well acquainted with some of Scotland's finest distilleries. You'll travel from Islay to Speyside, The Highlands and The Lowlands all within the sophisticated comfort of the North Bridge Brasserie. Each of the four drams will be placed upon a Whisky Map, designed to highlight the origin of the whisky. The experience, launching on the 14th October, has been put together by our team of culinary experts and includes a series of food pairings.
To celebrate this exciting launch we are giving away four Whisky Tasting Experiences. To win, just log onto Twitter and tell us your what your favourite whisky region is and why. Maybe you like the peating process used in Speyside or the sea air flavours found in the Highlands ... just don't forget to use @Scotsman_Hotel and #scotsmanwhisky in your answer. You can enter from now until midnight on the 13th October 2013. (Terms and conditions at the bottom of the page)
Whisky from Islay, Speyside, The Highlands and The Lowlands
Featured whiskies and their distilleries are as follows:
Ila, Est. 1846 - Islay Region
This distillery is remotely located on the North East of Islay, making it a true discovery. Its whiskys are light, pale and include delicate hints of peat, flora and pepper.
The whisky we have selected is their Caol Ila 12 Year, a sweet and balanced blend with a nose of smoke, brine, lemon and apricot. The sweet, smoky finish perfectly complements the portion of smoked Dunlop cheese we have paired with it.
The family who opened this distillery way back in 1893 still own it today, making it a well-establishment producer of unforgettable whiskies.
We have chosen Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 Year, a silky blend with hints of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. A small plate of dark chocolate with samplings of coconut has been paired with this drink to really bring out the sweet flavours.
Old Pulteney, Est. 1826 - Highland
The most northerly distillery on the mainland, this historic establishment was once only accessible by sea. The whiskies here are known for their signature sea salt finish, which they get thanks to a maturation process which exposes them to sea air.
Old Pulteney 12 Year was our choice, a sweet combination of orange, lemon, honey and vanilla flavours with a fruity nose and a spicy, sea salt finish. For this whisky we chose sliced pear with ginger and cinnamon to accompany.
Glenkinchie, Est. 1837 - Lowland Region
Located in The Garden of Scotland and only 15 miles from Edinburgh, Glenkinchie is a distillery set in thriving farmland. Glenkinchie has become very well known, and in 2013 the 12 Year blend was awarded Best Lowland Single Malt at the World Whiskies Awards.
The award-winning Glenkinchie 12 Year is the one we have chosen. It has a delicate and flowery palate, with hints of vanilla, cut grass, cream and lemon in the nose. We have paired it with lemon meringue pie fudge, which we feel really highlights the wealth of flavours in the whisky.
If you are interested in our whisky tasting experience just drop in or contact us on +44 (0)131 622 2900. And, while you're here, take advantage of our delightful menu, which uses the finest in locally sourced ingredients and seasonal produce.
- Competition closes at midnight 13th October 2013
- Please include @Scotsman_Hotel and #scotsmanwhisky in your answer so we can track all entries
- By playing, you give us permission to use your name and profile information to announce you as a winner
- Our employees are ineligible for entry
- All entrants must be over 18 years of age
- We'll pick our four favourite answers on Monday 14th October and winners will be announced (and sent a direct message/Tweeted) on Tuesday 15th October
- Christmas Residential Package
Celebrate Christmas with The Scotsman Hotel in Edinburgh
- New Year's Residential Package
Ring in the New Year with The Scotsman Hotel in Edinburgh
- Retail Therapy Residential Package
Festive Retail Therapy at The Scotsman Hotel
- Sparkling Christmas Parties
Throw Your Christmas Party at The Scotsman Hotel
- Festive Afternoon Tea
Festive Afternoon Tea at The Scotsman Hotel
- Indulgent Experiences with Taste of Edinburgh
- Taste of Edinburgh Blog 3 - Sweet Treats
- Taste of Edinburgh Blog 2 - Best Festival Tips
- Taste of Edinburgh Blog 1 - Introduction to Taste of Edinburgh
- Celebrate Your Big Day for Only £3,999
- Enjoy the Best of the 2014 Ryder Cup Action in The Scotsman Screening Room
- Edinburgh Tattoo and Dining Experience with North Bridge Brasserie
- The Scotsman Named as One of the Five Most Historic Hotels in Europe
- A Summer of Sport at The Scotsman
- A Taste of Scotland at the North Bridge Brasserie
- 2014 Summer Wedding Offer & inspiring Wedding Open Evening
- Soothing Spa and Stay Packages for the 12th Edinburgh Marathon
- Whisky Pairing Dinner
- Lunch Menus at Edinburgh's North Bridge Brasserie
- Luxury Wedding Fayre at The Scotsman - 9th March 2014
- Valentine's at the Scotsman Hotel
- Burns Night Supper
- New Year, New You: Personal Training and Spa Offers
- Wine Tasting with Greywacke's Kevin Judd - 14th January 2014
- Christmas and New Year in Edinburgh with the Scotsman
- The Scotsman Hotel Named One of the Best by Condé Nast Traveller
- The Scotsman Hotel: New Aveda Spa Launch - 1st November
- 35 Percent Off All Therapies & Products at Scotsman Spa Edinburgh
- Scottish Whisky Tasting from 14th October at North Bridge Brasserie
- JJW Hotels and Resorts to Take Over Management of Le Meridien Penina
- Pre-Theatre Dining: 5.30pm-6.45pm All Week
- Edinburgh Tattoo with The Scotsman Hotel: 2 – 24 August
- The Scotsman Hotel Receives Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor